Vajroli Mudra is one of the ways in yoga which can help you deal with premature ejaculation and urinary disorders. This is easy to practice but difficult to master. If you practice this mudra for a long time you will also have other benefits like activation of chakras and great self control.
Advanced practice can lead to one being able to control the ejaculation of semen and even ability to pull back the ejaculated semen. These advanced stages are known as Sahjoli and Amroli and references to these are found in ancient yogic texts. These practices were developed in the ancient times which emphasized on preserving the semen. As per ancient systems, semen is energy in physical form and its usual tendency is to flow downwards. When it is preserved, then, with the help of various yogic practices, it can be made to flow upwards. This energy is known as Kundalini energy, which is symbolized as sleeping serpent.
With the preservation of semen combined with yogic practices this energy is trasfered upwards towards the brain. In the path there are six chakras through which energy passes and at the end reaches the seventh chakra located in the brain. When this happens, all the chakras are activated and this leads to enlightenment. Yogis practice Vajroli mudra for achieving enlightenment, but it is also practiced by many people who want to get rid of sexual problems and problems in the urinary system.
Steps to Practice Vajroli Mudra
- Sit erect in either Padmasana or Sidhasana so that the spine is straight. If you find it difficult to sit in Padmasana then read How to Prepare for Padmasana and Loosening exercise for Padmasana.
- Close your eyes and inhale slowly. Focus on the muscles which can be used to control the urine flow near the pubic bone. This is known as urethral sphincter.
- With the air retained, contract the abdomen and pull it towards the spine.
- Now gradually contract and release the urethral sphincter with air retained in the lungs.
- When you start feeling that you cannot retain the breath, gradually exhale with release of the muscle and release the abdomen also.
You may notice that it is difficult to keep the urethral muscle contracted and you would need to release it quite soon. When the above steps are practiced regularly, you will develop more control of the muscles, and would be able to practice easily.
Note: There is another way to practice, though it will not fully qualify as Vajroli Mudra, though it will empower your urethral muscles. Drink around one liter of water and while urinating start and stop and trying to control the urine flow by contracting and releasing the urethral muscles.
Benefits of Vajroli Mudra
- Cures premature ejaculation.
- Cures diseases of the urinary system like infections and enlargement of the prostrate gland.
- Calms the and increases concentration once the sexual distractions are calmed down.
- Helps in spiritual progress and chakras are activated.
Bandhas in Yoga